Monday, March 11, 2013

Have you heard about Billy Cooper's Awesome Nightmare....


Hi Rosalie and thank you so much for having me today.  

I am thrilled to be visiting with you. 

I would like to talk about my short story Billy Cooper’s Awesome Nightmare – The Wickware Sagas.  

It’s for the MG kiddos and it’s a time travel adventure.  I have sent in four other stories and the plan is to have a book, starring  kids of today coming face to face with historical legends of yesteryear.  I am really excited about this project with Billy Cooper starring in Volume One.

                                                            * * * *

Seventh grader, Billy Cooper, watches as the clock in his last hour class ticks by at a snail’s pace.  Old lady Wickware’s mouth is moving but Billy is paying no attention. History was not a favorite subject of his and besides it’s Friday and he has baseball practice, right after this class, if that darn bell would ever ring.

Billy had heard the rumors about Miss Wickware.  Weird things happened in her class.  Lights flickered, the radio would turn on by itself, electricity would shoot out of the end of her fingers, things happened to different students, but nobody was actually talking.

It was bunk!   Miss Wickware was a nice old lady that cared about history and her mission on earth was to boar Billy to death. 

“And this oral report will be due on Monday.”  That got Billy’s attention.  “Everyone will draw a subject out of this box.  It does not have to be long, just factual.”

Among the grumbling of the other students, Billy’s mind was going over all the things he had planned for the weekend…. ball practice, the new Matt Damon movie, and fishing with his dad. 

It’s Billy’s turn to draw his subject.  William Tell.  Who was William Tell? 

No worries.  A ten-minute search on the computer and he will bluff his way by on this assignment. The bell rings and Billy smiles as he rushes out the classroom door. 

His attitude takes a different turn when he wakes up the next day in front of William Tell’s home in the fourteenth century.  How did he get here and the bigger question is how will he get home????

                                                            * * * *

Dum da dum dum dummmmmmm – LOL! 
 Thanks again Rosalie for having me. 

 I would love to offer someone who leaves a comment a copy of  Billy Cooper’s Awesome Nightmare – 
so everybody, please leave a comment and don’t forget your email address.  

My website is www.pennystales.com and I really love it when folks stop by.  I have a few more MG stories, Hike Up Devil’s Mountain and A Float Down the Canal!  

Billy Cooper’s awesome Nightmare can be found at MuseItUp Publishing, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble!






11 comments:

Marian Lanouette said...

Great interview and your book sounds wonderful. Just recently I started reading YA and I'm loving it.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Love the sound of being transported back to the time of William Tell.
Although the premise is similar, Billy's adventure sounds completely different to Stefan's journey in The Unhewn Stone. I love time travel stories. What a great way to immerse yourself in history. To allow a skilled author to transport you... so you can absorb facts, atmosphere, culture and what life was like, with adventure thrown in. Works for me. :)

Penny's Tales said...

Hey Marian - thank you so much for taking the time to check it out. I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I have read this story. It is a good one. Penny, you seem to know just how a child of today would react. I am so excited to read the others. When will they be out?

Stacey

Penny's Tales said...

Rosalie, I want to thank you for being such a fun and gracious hostess! It was fun and can hardly wait til we do it again!

Penny's Tales said...

Hi Stacey. Thank you for stopping by and I really appreciate the comments. It will be a while before the book comes out, but I am very excited about it.

Wendy said...

I read your book too Penny, naturally, since our books relate to the same topic. Middle Graders will love yours. Central Switzerland is so beautiful and the people in the Uri canton care passionately about their legend. We stayed in Burglen, Tell's birthplace, and made friends with two Swiss women and their families. It's wonderful how writing and research bring people together, often as lifelong friends.

Penny's Tales said...

Hi Wendy. Thanks so much for checking out my guest post. I would LOVE to travel to Switzerland. Unfortunately, I had to travel to my computer to look up what it looks like! LOL

Penny's Tales said...

Hi Wendy. Thanks so much for checking out my guest post. I would LOVE to travel to Switzerland. Unfortunately, I had to travel to my computer to look up what it looks like! LOL

Penny's Tales said...

I would like to send PDF copies to all that commented (Wendy has already read it)

Thanks everybody for visiting and commenting.

Tonja said...

This is cool!