Monday, December 23, 2013

My Writing Process

Thanks To Wendy Laharnar and Edith Parzefall for including me in this rather interesting blog hop.

Four questions... Can I get them right?

What are you working on at present?

Easy. Editing the final two stories in the Chronicles of Caleath.
Adrift: In Search of Memory and Adrift: The Fragile Sun.
These sea faring adventures have been fun to write and visiting them after such a long time is a great way of seeing where they can be improved.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Right, well, I am not sure I have ever read a science fiction fantasy mix quite like Caleath's story. With influences from epic fantasy combined with a modern look at society's addiction to television 'real life' shows like Survivor and Big Brother I have had plenty to work with.

Why do I write what I do?

I guess when I write about addiction, it reflects why I write. I am addicted to creating, whether that means painting, writing, or something less tangible like spending time with my grandchildren. Every day is a gift. We should make something positive of it.

Science fiction and fantasy offer the scope to explore new worlds, ideas and magic. Relationships, challenges and character development can get a real workout when imagination is let run free. I always try to ground my fantasy in reality, which means a lot of research. Another aspect of writing I enjoy.

How does my writing process work?

When writing a first draft I am like one obsessed. I can think of nothing else. Life gets in the way and I must write. Once the first draft is down I put it aside for a while. I will still be thinking about each character's agenda and reactions and after a few weeks will go through and tweak most scenes. Once happy with the plot I like to leave the manuscript for a while. Months even. Then go back and begin polishing. I will then work with a critique group. I find their feedback helps correct and find the nits.

I am always learning more and wanting to add what I have learnt to my work. It is hardest to walk away and leave the manuscript.

Learning is as much fun as writing, editing, and publishing. I enjoy interaction from other writers, critiquers, and writing workshops. Writing short pieces for  writing group meetings and workshops helps stretch my writing skills. Sharing what I have learnt too, is a thrill.

Now... I have been lax, with two deaths in close succession  my life has been turned upside down. I haven't been organised and apologise for not having more authors tagged.

Hope everyone has a SAFE and HAPPY Christmas.. or holiday season.

 ADRIFT will be released early in 2014.



2 comments:

Edith Parzefall said...

I think you got the answers right, Rosalie. :-) You're very much like me in the obsessive first draft stage.

Happy Holidays!

Edith

Wendy said...

I like your idea of being addicted to creativeness especially when this creativity includes time with you grandchildren.