Saturday, October 22, 2011

Kat Holmes talks about Heart of the Queen



Welcome  to my blog Kat. Thanks for being here today. You are celebrating the release of the next book in your ‘hot’ Gods at Work series. "Heart of the Queen". Congratulations. Can you give us a quick overview of the series. 

It is my pleasure to be here today. My Gods series means a lot to me. I have such a love and obsession with Greek mythology. Ever since I read my first Greek myth I have been hooked.

The series itself came about because of the banking crisis. People were losing their jobs left and right and had less money to spend on luxuries. I started to ask myself, what if this had a cascade effect on the Gods. What if, because people were broke, they no longer left great gifts for the Gods and they were broke? How would they react to being broke and being forced to come down here to earth and work? Thus the series was born.

What a great idea for a series. Wouldn't we love to see how the gods would cope with working for a living. Love it already.
Other than ‘author’ what are three words you would use to describe yourself?
Interesting question. :)  I suppose I’d say daughter, dreamer and reader.

Do they influence you as a writer? Or the genre you write?
I think everything influences me as a writer. Much of me, much of my life is in my books. I don’t think we authors of fiction are able to avoid putting much of ourselves into our characters and their dilemmas.

What is it about your chosen genre/s that fires up your muse?
I don’t really have a chosen genre. I flit from many. Paranormal, fantasy, contemporary, you name it. My muse has a mind of her own and she decides what she’s gonna do. I’m just along for the ride.

Do you have a regime when writing? A special place, time, mood or do you snatch opportunities to pen ideas or write a few lines? 
Not really. When I’m writing I do prefer to do it early when I’m fresh, but I write when my muse makes me write. There are times late at night when I’m sleeping my muse will force me to wake up and write.

Does your Muse follow rules and plot lines or does she offer ideas on a whim?
Oh whim without a doubt. Even if I think I know where a story is going, she’ll make a 180 degree turn on me and surprise me. And quite often her turns are right and just what the story needed.

What are the most dramatic changes you have made to a story you have written? What prompted the change?
I had to change a title because it was published elsewhere.

Has there been one event in your life that changed/inspired your writing career? For example, meeting an author, finding a publisher, joining a critique group?
I met N.J. Walters, an extremely talented author who became a good friend. She encouraged me to try submitting my own work. I credit being published at all to her encouragement.

Would you like to tell us about the main character of this latest book and/or the villain? Or would you like to share an excerpt? Either or both… we are keen to learn more about the story and see what the gods get up to....
This story is definitely for adults. It’s an erotica story dealing with a ménage. My main characters are Hera, queen of the gods and two human men named James and Noah. The title is Heart Of The Queen and it is out now.

Who is publishing your story?
Muse It Up Publishing’s hotter side, Muse It Hot.

Where can we get this book? 

How can we follow your career?
I’m on twitter and facebook under my own name. And I have a blog, a website and a Blog Talk Radio show.

Kat, Thanks for participating.
Thank you so much for having me Rosalie. I loved being here. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Lady Rosalie! Thank you for hosting one of my favorite people. Kat is an amazing and gifted writer and its obvious Ms. Walters has played a significant role in her life. Of course our Kat only aligns herself with the best.

I'm also blessed to know just how big Kat's heart is and her warmth spreads throughout her writing. Her characters are rich and vibrant and I've sometimes referred to Kat's writing as reading in 3D.

Thanks again ma'lady. You are truly a gracious host.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Thanks for dropping in Karen, Kat is not well at present and can't be here. So we must soldier on and spread word about her books on her behalf.

Wendy said...

A lovely interview Rosalie and Kat. Thanks for sharing your love of the mythical gods in your writing Kat. I'm a personal friend of Apollo and Hermes, myself. :)